I met Jean Francois Aristide aka “Marco” in October while in
Haiti working with another great NGO. He was my personal interperter He
followed me around making sure that I understood everything everyone was saying
to me and telling others what I was saying. We had some down time and had a
chance to talk about life and kids and Haiti, and America and we just became
friends. He has a great sense of humor and we quickly started joking with each
other and the other team members joined in on the fun.
After returning home Marco and I started talking about the
school he was trying to run. I just kept thinking to myself, “How is he able to
do this and why would he put so much effort into this?’ He convinced me to start helping him, and
again I thought to myself, “If he is doing all this work with the limited means
he has how can I say no?’
So the journey started. My sister and I jumped onboard or
maybe is was more like being dragged on board, but we started helping Marco and
his school. We decided to take a trip to Haiti to see the school for ourselves
and we came up with a plan to help him.
We fell in love with all the cute children going to school.
There are teachers that are dedicated to giving these children more than just
an education they want to teach these children how to be good loving and kind
adults. They give unconditional love to each child and it is evident in the
smiles that each child had while they were at school. The school itself isn’t
much to brag about. It is a make shift shelter, and while I was in the school
for only about 20 minutes I started feeling like I was getting heat stroke. How
do these kids sit in there and actually learn? I am not sure how they do it but
they do and with a smile on their face.
With the permission of the parents we took pictures of all
the kids and we are hoping that we can get our friends, your friends and others
to sponsor a child to go to school. This money will be used to buy more
textbooks, get uniforms, and start saving for a better school structure.
For $20.00 a month, we can make a difference to this school
and community. We can help these children have a brighter hope for tomorrow and
learn the life skills necessary to be productive good citizens in Haiti.
I will be posting pictures of the children on the blog, once
they are sponsored I will mail you a picture of the child you are sponsoring
and you will receive a thank you note after each trip we make to Haiti and an
updated photo. You will be able to follow the progress of our efforts on the
blog and on our FB page.
If you are interested in sponsoring a child leave a comment
on FB or on the blog and I will get in touch with you to get your mailing
information and get everything set up. We will be using PayPal it is easy to
use and really convenient.





No comments:
Post a Comment